Effects Of Hypothyroidism On Conception & Treatment With Acupuncture
01 Jun 2017
Hypothyroidism is medically defined as a condition characterised by failure of the thyroid gland to produce hormones in adequate quantity, which causes different body systems to slow down. The most common and recognisable symptoms of hypothyroidism include:
- Feeling cold
- Weight gain
- Dry skin
- Irregular menstruation cycle
- Thinning hair
The condition is quite infamous for its adverse effects on fertility and generally contributes towards miscarriage, implantation problems and reduced fetal IQ. Thyroid imbalances have a direct impact on successful conception as well as staying pregnant. And they can do so in multiple ways:
- Adverse effect on the ovaries, which can bring down the levels of progesterone and trigger a string of conditions such as -
- Increased risk of miscarriage
- A reduced second half of menstrual cycle
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Anovulation or the inability to produce an egg
- No ovulation due to elevated prolactin
In the modern ways, plenty of remedies, including conventional as well as natural, are available for treating hypothyroidism. For quite a long time now, medical doctors have relied upon synthetic thyroid hormone as the ultimate cure, despite of the fact that it has a few side effects. On the other hand, the natural methods for treating the condition involve speeding up the thyroid on its own, with the help of holistic remedies.
If you wish to go down the holistic path for treating your hypothyroidism, here are some effective tips that you can follow:
1. In order for your body to heal naturally, it must get adequate amount of rest in the first place. Thus, make sure you sleep for at least 8-10 hours every night.
2. Consider getting acupuncture treatment - it is a holistic & all-natural modality of Traditional Chinese Medicine, and can promote fertility as well as support the thyroid, in addition to reducing stress.
3. Exercise is also important for complementing the healing process. It would play a significant role in improving the functions of your thyroid.
4. Avoid processed and refined food items & sodas from your diet because they usually cause stress, which in turn leads to various diseases.
5. A sluggish thyroid can also benefit greatly from certain supplements, including iodine, antioxidants, vitamin D and selenium. But make sure you consult with your doctor before taking anything.
If you liked this post, then do leave your views in the comment section below. Also, make sure to stay connected to our dedicated blog space for more useful writeups on TCM and medical disorders.