How to Quit Smoking?
If you want to quit smoking, go for it! It is never too late! In fact, there are several benefits that you can get if you quit smoking. Here are a few quick tips for you to help you kick the habit.
1. Find an approach, which will work for you. This can either be the cold turkey approach or a gradual reduction in number of cigarettes you smoke everyday. What you can do is set a date for quitting and make sure you stick to that. If you're quitting all by yourself, its recommended that you stop smoking totally within your quite date.
2. Try to get support from your work colleagues, family and friends. Let them know that you're trying to quit. Ask smokers not to smoke in front of you or offer you any cigarette.
3. Throw all your cigarettes, lighters, ashtrays and anything else, which may remind you of your smoking habit. Clean your car and wash your clothes thoroughly for removing the smell of smoke.
4. Having chewing gum or nicotine patches can be a great idea for those who frequently smoke. There are even oral prescription medicines like varenicline and bupropion, which can help you in quitting. They actually reduce the withdrawal symptoms and the urge to smoke.
5. Plan in advance for situations where you may be tempted to smoke like in parties, while drinking or going out for a coffee with a friend. Avoiding these kind of situations in early stage of the quitting programme would be a good idea. Sitting in a non-smoking section at a restaurant, keeping something in hand whole conversing on the phone and such other things would be something great for quitting the habit.
6. If you feel tempted to smoke, keep in mind the following Ds:
- Drink water
- Deep breathe
- Do something else like walk, go for a movie or visit a supportive friend.
7. Schedule an acupuncture treatment.
8. If you think you're losing your motivation to quit, all you need to do is remind yourself of the financial and medical benefits of quitting.